As a technology enthusiast and founder of Studio Technix, I am building the next-generation of electronics software development tools.
Besides that I work as freelancer for software development in the fields of IoT, mechatronics, cyber physical systems, robotics, artificial intelligence, smart sensors, and autonomous systems, under the wings of Beiaardlab.
Do you have a project, question or an idea for an electronic device, embedded system or an innovative app? Do you have a complex technical challenge? Don't hesitate to contact me and discuss your project.
Development for Esp32, Stm32, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and other embedded systems. Experience with C, C++ and Rust.
Simulation and modeling
Background as researcher in real-time simulation, co-simulation, software-in-the-loop and hardware-in-the-loop.
Desktop application development
With a focus on high-performance, cross-platform desktop applications. Using native UI platforms such as WPF and Avalonia, developed in C#.
Mobile app development
Cross-platform development for Android and iOS using Xamarin Forms.
In today's world, almost any device is controlled by a computer chip in some way. In fact, for every person on earth there are 15 software-controlled devices in use. The increased demand for artificial intelligence and connections to the cloud, is a big challenge for device manufacturers.
Studio Technix is a development tool and 'engine' for Internet-of-Things (IoT), Smart Devices, Embedded Software and AI-on-the-edge. With Studio Technix a developer can build new applications with less prior knowledge in a shorter time. Studio Technix features a visual editor, a code framework and a simulator and automatically generates the majority of the low-level code, freeing the developer to focus on the specifics of their application.
As a founder of Studio Technix, I believe that accessible tooling and fast workflows are key for our customers to staying competitive. Our tool and services can help junior engineers get up to speed faster in the domain of embedded systems, internet-of-things and AI on-the-edge. In addition, the experienced developer benefits from the tool because they can to focus on solving the application-specific challenges in stead of spending time on low-level plumbing code.
Beiaardlab is a consultancy company for research, design and development of electronic software applications. Beiaardlab specializes in smart devices, internet-of-things, app development, and artificial intelligence.
Studio TechnixMain developer of Studio Technix combined with consultancy work.
- Founder and main developer of Studio Technix, a development tool and framework for Internet-of-Things (IoT), Smart Devices, and Embedded Software applications.
- Freelance app developer, focused on high-performance, cross-platform desktop and mobile applications. Application are written in C# using a native UI platform such as WPF, Avalonia or Xamarin Forms.
- Freelance embedded software developer. Projects with C, C++ or Rust.
- Freelance simulation and modeling consultant.
Siemens Industry Software
Working as a research engineer on topics related to simulation and software for Aerospace applications. Part of this work has been performed in context of my PhD research in collaboration with KU Leuven.
- Research into programming language design for safety-critical applications. As part of this research, I created a new programming language and compiler, called Sim, that uses recent developments in programming language design to reduce the number of faults in embedded software. The contract-based and value-semantics nature of the language, allows for formal analysis with less annotation overhead. The language has been used for the verification of a conceptual fly-by-wire application.
- Virtual sensing to determine structural loads on an aircraft during landing. For this project I created a coupling between a Kalman Filter and the multi-body dynamics solver Virtual.Lab Motion (now part of Siemens Simcenter 3D) using a custom interface based on the FMI2 standard. This interface, written in a mix of C and Fortran, was also used on other projects for co-simulation, bifurcation analysis, optimization & aircraft trim analysis. In addition a Matlab toolbox based on the same interface provides easy-to-use access for other researchers.
- Analysis of the structural dynamic properties of a large drone with a wing span of 6 meter.
- Design and analysis of composite wing flaps, slats and ailerons for a laminar-flow wing. The challenge in this design was to create a strong enough structure that is thin enough such that the flow remains laminar. Project was part of the European Clean Sky research programme.
- Development of a lifting-line aerodynamics library for Siemens Simcenter AMESim. A prototype was created in F# after which the final implementation was written in C.
I founded Trigger, an online social network and mobile app for finding people that share your hobby interests to do an activity together, like sporting, gaming, and working out. If you feel like doing something, you open the app and 'trigger' people in the neighbourhood for them to get up and to join you in your activity.
In 2014 the drone market for the consumer segment was booming at a rapid pace. At that time I created Smartwings, a webshop dedicated to the first generation of low-cost drones with camera integration.
LMS, a Siemens Business
As a research engineer in the Aerospace Competence Center I worked on projects related to real-time, multi-body and system simulation.
- Worked on a simulation model of the control system mechanism of a helicopter coupled to a model of the helicopter blade aerodynamics, commissioned by a large helicopter manufacturer as part of the European Clean Sky research project.
- Created a real-time flight simulator, with a pilot seat, joystick, throttle, and a wall of displays in which a person fly a virtual aircraft. This co-simulation demonstrator was created to show the real-time capabilities of solver of the multi-body simulation product LMS Virtual.Lab Motion and system simulation tool LMS Imagine.Lab AMESim.
Main tools used in these projects:
- LMS Virtual.Lab Motion (now part of Siemens Simcenter 3D), multi-body simulation tool.
- LMS Imagine.Lab AMESim (now Siemens Simcenter AMESim), system simulation tool.
- Mathworks Matlab & Simulink.
- C and Fortran scripts to perform the data exchange between the different simulation tools.
- C# Winforms application for visualization and dashboard.
Doctoral research (PhD research) in Engineering Science
Research on the coupling of high-fidelity aeroelastic models with a state estimation algorithm. Methodology development and verification based on a contract-based programming language.
Master of Science in Management
Magna cum laude
Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering: Aerospace Engineering
Magna cum laude
Bachelor of Engineering: Mechanical Engineering
- Benoit, T., Jacobs, B. (2019). Uniqueness Types for Efficient and Verifiable Aliasing-Free Embedded Systems Programming. In International Conference on integrated Formal Methods (iFM).
- Benoit, T. (2019). Sim: A Contract-Based Programming Language for Safety-Critical Software. In Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC 2019). Winner of the Best Conference Paper award.
- Singh, V. B., Benoit, T., & Braibant, V. (2018). Breaking down silos with contract-based design for industrial software development: illustrated through an aerospace case study. In Embedded Real-time Software and Systems Conference 2018.
- Castrichini, A., Cooper, J. E., Benoit, T., & Y, L. (2017). Gust and Ground Loads Integration for Aircraft Landing Loads Prediction. In 58th AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference.
- Benoit, T., Lemmens, Y., & Desmet, W. (2017). Model-based development of on-board software using a DSL for embedded software. In Aviation Electronics Europe 2017.
- Benoit, T., Lemmens, Y., & Desmet, W. (2016). Nonlinear State Estimation for Aeroelastic Multi-Body Models. In AIAA Modeling and Simulation Technologies Conference AIAA
- Benoit, T., Lemmens, Y., & Desmet, W. (2015). Embedding a Multi-Body Model of a Fixed Wing Aircraft in a Nonlinear State Observer. In International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics (IFASD 2015).
- Benoit, T., Lemmens, Y., & Desmet, W. (2015). Multi-Body Model of a Fixed-Wing Large Passenger Aircraft for Nonlinear State Estimation.
- Benoit, T., Lemmens, Y., Verbeke, J., & Roo, R. De. (2014). Flight Dynamics Simulation with Integrated Electrical System Model for Pilot-in-the-Loop Testing. In AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference.